Asian dating – Warm spiced porridge
As the days get colder, we turn to warm hearty meals to keep us going. This winter we’ve teamed up with The Spice Club to bring an Asian inspired porridge breakfast to help get you up in the dark mornings. Impress your Asian date with this delicious alternative to the classic porridge bowl.
What you need:
1 cup (240g) of porridge oats
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 ½ cups water
1 tomato diced, diced into ½ cm pieces
1 small carrot, diced into ½ cm pieces
1 green birds eye chilli, finely chopped (optional)
1tsp salt or according to taste
¼ tsp turmeric powder
¼ tsp paprika
¼ tsp garam masala
handful fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Heat a non-stick pan and add the porridge oats and cumin.
- Toast for 3-4 minutes, mixing continuously.
- When you see the oats change colour slightly and become slight darker, add the water.
- Increase heat to high and add the tomatoes, carrots and chilli.
- Mix well and add the salt, turmeric, paprika and garam masala.
- Allow the porridge to thicken and come to boil. Reduce to medium heat and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle on fresh coriander and remove from heat.
- Enjoy on its own or with a dollop of Greek yoghurt and mango pickle!