If you find yourself suddenly back in the dating game, it can seem daunting and scary at first. Perhaps you’ve never really been on your own before and are worried about whether you’ll ever meet someone new.
Have you forgotten how to flirt? What to say on a date? How to tell if someone is interested?
The good news is that once you get started again you’ll find it is much easier than you expect. These are all skills that you’ll have known once before and you’ll soon start to remember them again as you have more dates.
1) Forget the past. Make sure you are free of all baggage before you begin. Your dating history has made you into the person you are now so accept that and be proud. When you’ve given yourself enough time and are sure you are ready, you’ll have renewed positivity and confidence.
2) Be open. Stop comparing new partners to your old ones. It’s easy to do as it’s what you are comfortable with, but remember that things didn’t work out and they weren’t right for you. So give everyone a fair chance and welcome all new opportunities. When you meet someone better then you’ll stop caring anyway.
3) Enjoy the Process. You don’t need to feel sorry for yourself or think as this as an annoying chore. Dating should be fun! You'll get to experience all kinds of new things, try wonderful new activities and visit exciting places. So go where the journey takes you and say yes to every dating opportunity.
4) You don’t have to do it alone. Dating doesn’t need to be a lonely process; you can do it with friends. If you don’t have any single ones, join some social groups or sign up to an online dating site with a couple of friends and you’ll soon meet new people. You could even use a dating coach to help you along the way.
5) Children aren’t an obstacle. Don’t assume that if you are a single parent that nobody will be interested. As long as you are clear and honest about this from the start then this won’t be an issue. So do include the fact that you have children in your online dating profile. That way you’ll only meet with people who are open to the idea of dating someone with children.
If you follow these tips you’ll be in a very fortunate position and in the best possible mindset to meet your new partner.
The best part of all is that you now get the chance to fall in love all over again!
James Preece is the Dating Guru.
He offers dating coaching for all areas, including getting online dating success.
James is a regular advisor and dating expert for many magazines and newspapers, including More Magazine, Men’s Health, The Sunday Express, Sugar Magazine, and more. He has advised for various television and radio shows including “The Science of Attraction” for BBC One.