Got a date coming up and unsure what to prepare? Relax, we’ve have teamed up with the UK’s leading vegetarian cooking school ‘Demuths’ to provide you with the perfect Asian inspired recipe to impress your Asian date. Don’t worry, you don’t need to be a Gordon Ramsey to be able to create a delicious meal. Indian Spiced Chickpeas is quick and easy and most importantly – it’s sure to impress. Full of rich flavour, it’s a great pairing to naan bread, roti or rice.
Below is the best recipe to sweep your date of their feet.
- 2 x 400g tins chickpeas, drained
- 300g potatoes, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 3 tbsps sunflower oil or vegetable ghee
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground (or 1 tsp ground cumin)
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds, toasted and ground (or 1 tsp ground coriander)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 250ml water
- 1 tsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- 250g leaf spinach
- handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped, for garnish
- Heat the sunflower oil or ghee in a saucepan and fry the onion until it is soft and starting to brown.
- Add the potatoes, garlic and chillies, stir, then add the ground cumin, coriander, turmeric and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the water, sugar and salt and cover. Simmer for approximately 10 minutes, until the potatoes are just cooked.
- Add the chickpeas, stir and heat through. Add the spinach, cover to allow the spinach to wilt – this will take a matter of moments!
- Season to taste and garnish with fresh coriander.
- You’re all ready to tuck in!
Find more delicious Asian recipes and dating tips here.