Here at Match, we value authenticity, which is why we’re celebrating Love With No Filter this autumn. It’s all about being honest about love, dating and relationships every step of the way – and why it works.
Your dating profile is an important place to remain true to yourself when you jump into online dating. Through your profile, you should attract dates who are interested in the real you and not a persona you’ve invented because you think that’s what someone might want to see.
Here are our top tips on how to create your authentic dating profile!
Your profile picture
Your profile pictures are the first thing potential matches will see about you, so it’s worth putting extra effort into choosing them:
- Include photos of you, doing what you love. Whether that’s lounging on a beach, painting or playing hockey, showing potential matches your passions tells them a lot about the real you.
- Don’t go filter crazy. We all like a bit of flattering lighting, but make sure your photo actually still looks like you. You don’t want your date to be unhappily surprised when they meet you in real life.
- Include a full-body shot. Everyone has their preferences, whether that’s slim, curvy or athletic. So be upfront about your figure; you want to find someone who’s looking for what you have. Don’t waste your time on people looking for something else!
- Choose a recent photo. It’s not okay to pretend you’re 10 years younger than you are. You’re probably not the same person you were back then! Show people the real person you want them to get to know better.
- Smile for your close up. Don’t be miserable – you’ll look your best and most approachable when you’re smiling. The occasional funny face can work, but don’t crowd your profile with dozens of them.
- Avoid excessive selfies. Uploading lots of duck-faces can come across as a little vain. Have a couple of selfies to show what you look like, just don’t overdo it. Candid photos are best if you have them as they’re always more natural and authentic.
Your personal ad/bio
Your personal ad is just as important as your photos. Make it light-hearted, interesting and honest, and you’ll be a step closer to finding your match:
- Write in your own style. If you’re a literary expert, feel free to pepper it with metaphors. If you’re witty, go ahead and make it hilarious. Just don’t force anything that doesn’t feel natural to you – trying to shoehorn a cringey joke into your profile often falls flat and comes across as try-hard. Your matches would rather read an interesting and honest profile even if it’s not laugh-out-loud funny.
- Don’t be afraid to put some people off. This is all about narrowing down your search to find someone who’s perfectly suited to you. Don’t worry that being honest and explicitly stating what you’re looking for will limit your options – there are thousands of eligible singles out there.
- Get your friends to have a read. Ask them to let you know if your ad does you justice and shows you for who you really are. They know you inside out and can tell you if you’re being true to yourself. They’ll also be able to suggest things you should add in that you wouldn’t have thought of yourself.
- Chat about what you love doing. If you like wine, talk about where you enjoy drinking; if you love skiing, talk about the slopes you love; if you love food, talk about your favourite restaurant. It doesn’t have to be anything extreme, and you don’t need to make anything up!
- Cover any no-gos. If there are any characteristics you 100% aren’t looking for in a date, be clear about them to avoid wasting your time. Whatever it is, just be upfront and you should avoid awkward revelations on dates.
- Don’t add inches to your height. You shouldn’t want to date someone who would judge you on such an arbitrary part of you anyway!
- Be honest about marriage & kids. If you don’t want them or aren’t sure where you stand, don’t tell people want you think they want to hear. There are always going to be people out there who want the same things as you, so embrace your choices and don’t feel you have to apologise for them.
That covers everything you need to create the perfect online dating profile and portray the best and most honest version of yourself. We wish you luck in your dating endeavours – not that you need it!
Learn about the 8 real relationship goals you actually need or check out 7 truths about relationships that you won’t find on social media.