Online dating is exciting but sometimes it seems too many profiles are saying the same thing or worse, the wrong things. If you’re guilty of one or two of the below, a quick edit is all you need.
Time to clean up those dating profiles and avoid these 10 examples of what not to say and why.
1. 45 year old lawyer seeks woman 35 to 42
Your profile should already give this information. Use this space for describing your personality and interests instead.
2. I’m a thief, and I’m here to steal your heart
Putting chat up lines in your personal is a cardinal sin when it comes to online dating. It very rarely works in real life but having it on your profile can be worse. Plus, they don’t offer much insight into who you are as a person.
3. Looking for someone that is kind, honest, easy going, adventurous, outgoing, romantic…
Setting the bar too high can put people off. That’s not to say that they aren’t all these things but living up to all the expectations set by someone else is never fun.
4. I’ve been heartbroken before and looking for something that stands the test of time
Not only does this make it seem like you haven’t let go of some hefty emotional baggage, it also puts too much pressure on your next relationship.
5. I just got out of a committed relationship
No one likes being the rebound or entering into the drama of a recent ex. Wait and share details about past relationships face to face to avoid any misinterpretations.
6. If you’re neurotic, don’t get in touch
Putting a line like this in your dating profile gives the impression that you’re negative and bitter which isn’t attractive.
7. Can’t be bothered to write on here. If you want to know anything just ask.
Your potential matches won’t want to message you if they’ve got nothing to base their questions on. Remember, even a few lines about your typical weekend is better than nothing.
8. I hate packed trains/people who moan/arrogance/cats
These pet peeves may really get to you but even if your contempt is justified dating profiles are not the place for negativity.
9. I don’t usually do online dating
This can sound condescending and runs the risk of insulting those who are happy with the exciting prospect of meeting someone online.
10. XXX hasn’t written a personal ad yet.
Don’t leave us hanging! It doesn’t take long to write a short profile. If you’re stuck for ideas read our Top Tips for Writing Your Online Profile