It’s no secret that LGBT+ dating can be challenging. How many times have you been longingly staring at someone from across the room and thought: “Are they? Aren’t they?” There’s a simple solution to your queer confusion: online dating!
Why should you use Match as your LGBT+ dating app?
LGBT+ dating apps are everywhere nowadays, with more and more niche ways to swipe than ever (and that’s not a bad thing). But here at Match, we are interested in serious singles looking for something special – no more quick hookups or never-ending doubts about commitment.
With thousands of singles, Match has a true smorgasbord of profiles to get swiping through today. We embrace the diversity of life and it is our goal to make sure that our LGBT+ dating community is respected, listened to and appreciated.
In our brief history of gay dating, we uncovered the changing attitudes to LGBT+ dating throughout history, so whether you’re just exploring your identity or if you’re a proud and out alphabet person; on Match, we believe that every month should be pride month!
LGBT+ Q+A – Don’t
- Get in the game – sitting around in your usual haunts and waiting for someone to come up can get boring. Signing up to an LGBT+ dating app is the safest way to meet someone new nowadays.
- Don’t typecast – if your exes look like they could be siblings, it might be time to switch it up. Judging people for the way they look is something we all do, but being open and reading through someone’s profile to get a sense of who they are as a person – that’s sexy.
- Don’t give up – good things come to those who wait! Using a dating website or app can be fun for the first few weeks but it can get old really fast. Take your time to get to know people and go on some dates – we have some recommendations for LGBT+ dates here.
- Don’t out someone who isn’t ready – we’ve all been there, the baby gay, the questioning of your gender identity, the first time you’ve dated someone and something just feels right. We all know it’s tough, those first few dalliances against the heteronorm. Don’t be discouraged if you start dating someone and they don’t want to hold hands in public. Remember that people come from different places, backgrounds and deal with their own struggles in their own time. Be thoughtful and respectful when dating and never, ever out someone before they feel comfortable with people knowing about their label.
LGBT+ Q+A – Do
- Dress to impress – what to wear, what to wear? Picking an outfit is potentially the best (and worst) way to start a date. There are the key questions: Where are you going? What are you doing there? Is it formal or informal? Wearing heels to a date might sound like a good idea… but if you’re planning to go on a walking tour you’re probably going to want to make sure your date can carry you!
- Read through the profile – read through everything carefully and question what you want. Ask yourself if someone really suits you or if they’re just so blindingly attractive that you forgot to think about the words they wrote. Reading through someone’s profile is also a great way to start a conversation about their favourite film, pets or best travel stories.
- Be honest and genuine – writing that you’re 6’0 when you’re 5’10 isn’t something we’d recommend. It’s easy to embellish the facts a little, but when it comes time to meet in person it’s best if you’re honest from the start and keep it genuine. People want to get to know you – not the idealised version of you.
- Enjoy yourself – a good place to start and end your LGBT+ dating journey is by having fun. Meeting new people is exciting and building a real relationship with someone is rewarding. No matter what happens you’ll get experience in the LGBT+ dating world in the UK – and don’t forget to relax and have a good time!
Staying safe on LGBT+ dating apps
It’s a sad fact that homophobia, transphobia and queerphobia still exist, but here at Match we do everything we can to protect our singles from abuse and harassment. We believe that you should always be in control of your dating experience – here’s just a few ways we aim to help you date freely and safely:
- Get to know your match – take things at your own pace. You don’t need to rush into an in-person date (if we’ve learned anything over the past year, it’s patience), so just enjoy getting to know each other over messages!
- Recognise the warning signs – someone saying they love you before you’ve met? Asking for your bank details? Or just avoiding giving any information about themselves? Those are all red flags – if they wouldn’t do it in person, don’t do it online.
- Being in control of your dating experience – if there’s someone you’re unsure about, let us know right away. With a reporting system designed to resolve issues as quickly as possible and a dedicated customer service team, we are here to help you feel at ease on Match.
- Be date smart – going on that first date is really exciting! But you should always try to stay safe when meeting in person too. Go for dates in public, somewhere that makes you feel secure, don’t get picked up from your house, and do tell a friend where you’re going (we’d recommend sharing your live location!).
- Trust your instincts – if someone seems sketchy, report them to Match. LGBT+ dating in the UK can be fun and enjoyable – but remember to be smart and keep your wits about you.