Guys – there’s one dating mistake you’re almost certainly making on dating sites. Our research shows it’s the number-one turn off in women, but is committed by 95% of men. If you can cure yourself of this habit, your dating success will go nuclear. What is it? Talking too much about yourself.
I know why you do it. On a date, you want to impress a girl. If you really like her, you can’t help but see the date as an interview, where you try and give her 10,000 really good reasons not to ditch you immediately and find someone better. You want her to like you, and like what you’re into, so you tend to get somewhat one-sided. Occasionally you’ll lob in a question, but then her answer will spark a funny memory so you find yourself off again on a rhetorical mission. And then, oh – where’d she go?
Women prefer dates to be an equal exchange of information. Remember, she wants to impress you, too. And long-term, women are looking for partners they can talk to. She might not realise you’re feeling shy, or keen to look your best – from her side of the table, you just look a bit selfish. Sorry!
The good news is, it’s an easy habit to fix. Below you’ll find a list of 20 great date questions. These have been cunningly chosen to show off your sensitive side, or make her laugh, or just help you find out more about her in a stealthy way. Use them to kick-start a conversation on a date, online, or over text. The answers will surprise you, and the results will astound you.
1. Have you ever saved anyone’s life, or has anyone ever saved yours?
2. What’s your funniest memory from your childhood?
3. What one ambition do you hope to achieve before you die?
4. What’s your favourite way to relax after a hectic day? (Note: do not ask this with a lusty or hopeful gleam in your eye.)
5. What’s your favourite way of spending time with your best friend? (Note: see above.)
6. What’s the best present anyone ever gave you? Or you gave to anyone?
7. Have you ever made anything with your hands?
8. What meal do you have to order when you see it on the menu? (Note: don’t go visibly pale if she says “lobster”.)
9. What made you laugh today?
10. If you could retrain into any other career, what would you choose?
11. Say you had to open a shop. What would you most like to sell?
12. What was your favourite story when you were young?
13. What’s your favourite line from a film?
14. What was your 15 minutes of fame?
15. What’s the closest you’ve ever been to a celebrity?
16. Have you ever invented anything?
17. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever heard?
18. What do you most enjoy about your job?
19. What’s the luckiest thing that’s ever happened in your life?
20. Have you ever seen a ghost?